A large shaft will be constructed at 71 Street and 89 Avenue to facilitate the upgrade to the manhole.
The work will include the excavation of a shaft using a drill rig. A crane will be used to facilitate the removal of soil as the shaft is dug. Loaders and tandem trucks will also be utilized on site.
Residents may experience dust, odour, and general noise as a number of construction equipment and trucks will be used for material delivery, excavation, soil removal and surface restoration.
Additional open cut work for this project will occur in the summer of 2022.
The first phase is the drilling that is scheduled to begin on December 3, 2021 and is expected to be completed on December 8, 2021. Please note: mobilization of equipment to site will begin on November 29, 2021.
During drilling, for approximately 5 days from December 3-8, 2021, residents can expect:
• A complete closure of the intersection at 71 Street and 89 Avenue. Residents are asked to follow the posted detour signage.
• Temporary no street parking along both sides of 71 Street, north of 89 Avenue, adjacent to the work area
The second phase are the regular construction activities that are scheduled to start on December 9, 2021 and are expected to be completed by the end of February 2022. These timelines are estimates and may change based on weather and construction conditions.
During the remainder of the construction, residents can expect:
• A road closure on 71 Street, north of 89 Avenue for approximately 20 meters. Residents are asked to follow the posted detour signage.
• No left hand turns will be permitted from 89 Avenue eastbound onto 71 Street northbound.
• No right hand turns will be permitted from 89 Avenue westbound onto 71 Street northbound.
• Temporary no street parking along both sides of 71 Street, north of 89 Avenue, adjacent to the work area.
• The sidewalk and crosswalk at the northwest and northeast corners of the 71 Street and 89 Avenue intersection, adjacent to the work area, will be closed. Residents are asked to follow the posted construction and detour signage.